Garrett County: Write to Commissioners to form a Social Justice Advisory Committee!
- I believe we need this group because…
- All members of our community deserve to feel safe here.
- All members of our community deserve to have their voices heard and concerns met, especially BIPOC members of our community who for so long have been underrepresented and ignored.
- The various racist events of the past year, like the KKK intimidation act that occurred at the lake, have made me worried for the safety of my family and my fellow community members.
- Our local economy depends on tourism and Garrett County must reckon with, address, and work to eradicate the racism in our community if we wish to truly be a safe and welcoming community for any person of color who may visit.
- With more and more people able to work from home, there are so many people moving from urban areas into rural communities like our. We have an opportunity to grow our community, but that will not happen if we continue being perceived as a racist, intolerant, and unwelcoming place for any person who is not white.
- Affordable housing, transportation, the minimum wage–these are all racial justice issues that this advisory group could address!
If you are not a resident of Garrett County, but spend time visiting, you are still welcome to share your thoughts and may modify any of the above.
For any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact email@example.com