MARYLAND NONPROFITS WELCOMES NEW BOARD MEMBERS AND OFFICERS FOR 2021
Kimberly Corbin elected chair, Veronica Cool and Walter Simmons join the board
|Kimberly Corbin, Chair||Veronica Cool||Walter Simmons|
The Maryland Nonprofits Board of Directors welcomes two new members and a slate of 2021 officers effective January 1, 2021. Simultaneously, two long-serving members leave the group.
New to the Board are Veronica Cool and Walter Simmons.
Veronica Cool is the founder and managing director of Cool & Associates, a management consulting firm bridging the mainstream world to the Hispanic segment in the United States. She holds a BS from Kutztown University in Business Administration, and a MS in Finance from Loyola University of MD. A native of Dominican Republic, she is the Past Board Chairman of the Maryland Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and co-chair of Martin O’Malley’s gubernatorial transition steering committee focusing on MBE and Small Business. In mid-2020, Maryland Latinos Unidos was established as a program of Maryland Nonprofits under Cool’s leadership.
In 2016, Walter Simmons became the youngest local workforce development board director in Maryland and one of the youngest workforce board directors in the country. As Executive Director of Employ Prince George’s, he leads workforce services in Prince George’s County. Simmons is a board member of the Maryland Workforce Association, a member of the Prince George’s Budget Advocacy Committee, and a Standards for Excellence® Licensed Consultant. He holds an MBA from Charleston Southern University and a Bachelor of Arts in History and Sociology from Newberry College.
Cool and Simmons both begin three-year terms on the Maryland Nonprofits Board.
Joshua Pedersen transitions from the Maryland Nonprofits Board having served as 2020 chair. Pedersen has worked and volunteered in the nonprofit industry for more than 24 years, currently as 211 Director for Network Operations & Performance at United Way Worldwide.
Departing board member Mike Mitchell has served Maryland Nonprofits for the past 6 years. Mitchell is Managing Director and Founder of Mission Rise, a consulting platform supporting nonprofit innovation, capacity, & resource development, and Solve Up, an in-person and tech platform for solving social problems.
“We are excited to welcome Veronica and Walter to the Maryland Nonprofits board” said board chair, Kimberly Corbin. “and look forward to continuing to work with Josh and Mike as we launch our Council of Past Chairs.”
2021 MARYLAND NONPROFITS BOARD OF DIRECTORS OFFICERS
- Chair: Kimberly Corbin, Greater Washington Urban League
- Vice Chair: Violet Apple, Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Treasurer: Phil Symonds, Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc.
- Secretary: Carl DeLorenzo, Howard County Government
- At-Large Executive Committee Member: Natasha Cavenaugh, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Natasha M. Cavanaugh, J.D, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Veronica Cool, Cool & Associates
- Richard Escalante, Baltimore Development Corporation
- Erica Joseph, Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore
- Grace Lee, Maryland New Directions
- Jennifer McGlothlin-Renault, Arrow Youth and Family Ministries
- Walter Simmons, Employ Price George’s
- Rebecca Teaff, Redstart Creative
- Cheryl Thomas, CPA, Thomas & Associates